Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Our Music: When Elvis Came To PCHS---Well, Sort of

In our Sophomore year the Tupelo, MS Flash was already making a big splash. 

I received a first hand report by one of our Sophomore classmates who had his driver's license and saw Elvis in concert in Louisville, KY.

He was a big Elvis fan, he even had wanna be sideburns to prove it, and said the concert was a wild scene. He said the music was great; Elvis put on quite a show; and the females in the audience never stopped screaming.

I do not want to embarrass or offend any readers of this blog by my next few comments. However, at almost 70 years of age, I think I can speak openly, especially to my classmates.. Our classmate said Elvis was signing autographs on the bras of some his adoring fans. I had no corroborating information, only this one student's testimony. 
 
I have heard the late J.D.Sumner of the Stamps Quartet, who backed up Elvis at Vegas, say many times that following the last show of the night, Elvis would sing Southern Gospel music with them until the wee hours of the morning. Elvis' gospel recordings rank among my favorites. Especially, How Great Thou Art.

Interestingly, while in seminary, one of my classmates was Rick Stanley, a half-brother to Elvis.  After Elvis' Mom died, Vernon, Elvis' Dad, married Rick's Mom and they moved into Graceland. Rick said he knew he was living in a different world when he was in the basement watching his half-brother play pool with The Beetles!

Rick is now an evangelist and as far as I know he has never attempted to glorify Elvis or his lifestyle. See: www.rickstanleyministries.com/journal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment