Monday, July 29, 2013

PLANE LAST SEEN.........

Plane last seen.....


                (Photo Not Me)


During my days at PCHS I built and flew model airplanes. I started with 5 and 10 cent gliders and worked up the $1.29 Comet kits. I read every magazine and book at the library that dealt with airplanes.

The North Vernon Plain Dealer announced that a model airplane show would be at the NV airport on a particular summer Saturday. I did not have my license and convinced my Dad to take me and the family to the show.

Radio  Control which dominates today's model world had not impacted model planes then. The U-Control (via wires) and Free Flight (planes with a small amount of gas were launched into the wind) were the order of the day.

Most Free Flight planes flew a 100 yards or so and softly landed. One plane had too much gas and flew over a heavily wooded area. A gent with a motor scooter rode after the fly away plane. The show ended without the plane or motor scooter returning.

The next issue of the Plain Dealer reported on the show and said the owner asked for help in locating his plane. The plane was last seen.......

I never heard if the plane was ever found. 




No comments:

Post a Comment