Wednesday, August 22, 2018

SOMETHINGS NEVER SEEM TO CHANGE


                    
       I have changed, but the thrill remains the same!





                                   Jupiter




A month and one half from now and I will be 77 years old. Several 

of my teenage interests are still part of what made me what I am. I 

have just returned from outside where I observed the First Quarter 

Moon through my 80mm/400 mm focal length/refractor. I have 

never gotten over the thrill I experienced in Indiana as I looked 

through my very, very crude 2 inch objective refractor with about a

 48 inch focal length. The chances are excellent I was the only 

student in Paris Crossing High School, in Southern Indiana who 

a telescope. Several boys, and a few girls, peered through my $12 

monster and were awed by the craters on the Moon, Jupiter’s four 

moons, the rings of Saturn, and the phases of Venus. Sunspots 

could be projected onto a piece of white paper held some distance 

from the eyepiece. 


Over 60 years has passed since those clear skies were both my

entertainment and outdoor classroom. Several telescopes have 

come and gone, yet the joy of seeing God’s spectacular creation in 

the heavens has always remained the same. Nothing puts life into 

the proper physical perspective of seeing nebulae, star clusters,

double stars, and galaxies thousands, millions, of light years away. 

I'll never fully understand how the Creator and Sustainer of the

Universe finds time for me. WOW!


Glenn <><


   

No comments:

Post a Comment