Friday, January 25, 2013

The Feminine Mystique: Time to confess


I read this ground breaking book shortly after graduating from Purdue University. A good portion of the book dealt with female freedom in the area of sexuality (That’s why I read the book!) Hey, at age 21 I was driven by different forces that at my current age of 71.
Friedan’s book, and 50 years of marriage---anniversary Jan 24, 2013, has not resolved the wonderful God-given mystery that distinguishes women from men. OK, I got the biological part without much difficulty. It’s the emotional and mental part that still has me stumped.
Neither space or time permits me to discuss all of the areas that baffle me (e.g. clothes, shoes, Christmas shopping when its 100 degrees outside, moods that defy cause or calendar, etc.) This Post will deal with just two areas:
1.    Beauty Shops (aka Salons): Please note: I understand completely the female desire, and in many cases the need, to enhance and maintain their beauty. What I don’t understand is the internal atmosphere of a beauty shop. Because of my wife’s medical condition, I take her everywhere and often stay until her appointment is concluded.
a.     The discussions between patrons and the stylists---Everything, I mean everything, is discussed. Topics cover the waterfront (medical, marriage, misery, money, in-laws, work outside the home, children/grandchildren, personal relationships, religion and an unending list of other topics). Stylists make good counselors----most of the time.
On one occasion, I passed a chair while I was in route to help my wife from her chair to the front door. The stylist was telling her patron how to take care of her hair while engaged in the most intimate of husband/wife relations. Maybe the stylist was really Dr. Ruth in disguise!  Guess I got too close; however, neither the patron or stylist seemed embarrassed.that I could over hear them.  
The noise level seems to grow exponentially with the addition of each new patron. Maybe it is an unwritten rule to talk loud to drown out the conversations of other patrons and stylists. 
b.    The smell. I do not understand how any woman can tolerate this week after week. It’s awful---really awful.
2.    Jewelry---OK, some jewelry is fine. But why collect rings, ear rings, watches, broaches, necklaces, and bracelets like a 4-H member collects leaves for a forestry project for the county fair? I guess it will be Heaven before I understand this baffling aspect of women. For the record, I wear a $17.00 Wal-Mart Casio wrist watch.


While I do not understand a lot about the feminine mystique, I know and love a woman that does. And at the end of the day that is good enough for me!
 

            
  

No comments:

Post a Comment