Monday, November 4, 2019

IN RESPONSE TO THE MANY REQUESTS...

I am once again publishing my Bio !!!


I was born in a log cabin that I helped my father build! We were so far back in the woods we didn’t receive the Grand Ole Opry until Tuesday night on a large battery powered radio! We didn’t have electricity then. Coal oil lamps, wood cook stoves, and gasoline at 20 cents per gallon. The gas prices made no difference to us—we never owned a car. Some fellow named Jerry told us that if God had intended for folks to drive, we would all be born with a parking space! It is hardly a stretch to say I was raised on Retro.

When I was in the third grade, the Statute of Liberty was still a little girl. Years later, I started a military career and the crossbow was still a Secret weapon! I often joked with my barracks buddies about getting a letter from home in which Mom said they had a fire in the bathroom, but fortunately, it didn’t spread to the house! I sure hated those cold winter nights to visit a Sears and Roebuck catalog.

We were very, very poor; we couldn’t afford a traditional pet. As a result, my father captured a tumble weed for us. We named her Windy because every time the wind would pick up she would run away from home!

The wind really blew hard on our little hillside rocky farm. Two summers ago it blew so hard that one of our laying hens laid the same egg twice!
My father deeply regretted he could not buy a large display of fireworks for the 4th of July. Instead, he bought a single hand held sparkler and we took turns running around in the yard. He often said that one year he was going to light it!

Yes, we were poor. In fact, I was adopted by an Oriental family. Every two weeks I would get a shipment of fish heads and rice. Our rural mail postman said he didn’t have to read the address label---he just knew the smell meant Glenn’s Care Package was in his Jeep.

Since the school busses were afraid to travel our roads, I road behind ‘Old Rivers’, I called him “OR”, on his mule to high school. I believe the mule was named “Midnight.” OR was such a poor student, we were in the same class. He was a better VOAG student than me; however, I was a better basketball player. In fact, one Friday night, I went 18 for 23----got the ball 23 times and shot it 18 times---nobody kept any records on how many went into the basket!

OR and I were really close friends; he would often loan me Midnight so I could go spark Sally Olsen, who lived up Graham Creek. She was pretty; however, her folks never had enough money to fix her buck teeth. Her teeth were so misaligned; she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence! When we broke up, I now regret saying some hurtful things, “Sally, with winter coming on, I would like to know, do you sleep with your buck teeth outside or under the covers?” Doctor Green said I would be up and around in about three months. He was wrong, it took 6 months.

Back to OR, Mom said in her last letter, “You know Old Rivers died?” Seems he was picking cotton in 110 degree heat and some guy named Ernie, she thought he was from Tennessee, gave him a 20 dollar bill if he could use his “Cotton Picker” handle in his next TV show. (Mom said his agent told him to change the “cotton” to “pea” and I guess the rest is history.)The heat didn’t kill OR; rather, it was the shock of seeing his first 20 dollar bill that stopped his heart!

My brother and sister were not as lucky as me. They received camel jerky from a Middle Eastern relief agency. They said it tasted terrible, but they only needed a drink of water every two weeks!

Imagine my shock when I went to Purdue University and discovered 7-UP was not green. The first time I heard the Tulane University fight song---Roll on Green Wave I thought it was a deodorant commercial.

Our cousin Wilford is the real smart one in our family. He told us the movie Men in Black was a documentary. I am sure he ought to know because he said he had graduated from the Bar, Magna Come Loaded.

The first time I booked an airline flight over the phone the travel agent asked, “Are you FLYING Round Trip?” I said, “No way, I am going there and coming right back!”

We recently had a mice invasion and I located an “Econo Exterminator” in the Yellow Pages. Promises of cheap prices and fast service closed the deal. The next day a high school guy comes up the driveway on a bicycle with a ball peen hammer in one hand and a paper sack in the other! I guess the old “get what you pay for” cliche is true for exterminators as well.

That’s my brief biography: I am very naive to this day. But like our favorite Oklahoma son---Will Rogers said, “I had rather be the man that bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it.”

Glenn , Shawnee, OK <><
Just West of Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment