Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Way I Remember It

Many years ago, I walked out of the great Indiana high school basketball movie---Hoosiers---and wiped a few tears from my eyes. I recall saying to some of the people with me, "I don't know if Indiana high school  basketball was really like that, but it sure is the way I remember it."  The best line in the movie, from my viewpoint, is when Coach Dale was talking to his Hickory Husker underdog team before they took the court at the Butler Field House in the Indiana High  School Championship Game, the hard nosed coach said, "I love you guys." The line was repeated as the movie closed by focusing in on a team photo of the 1952 champions on the gym wall at Hickory, "I love you guys."

As I approach the biblical three score and ten, I have an overwhelming desire to reconnect with the classmates who were fellow travelers on the road to maturity. Distance and pressing responsibilities do not permit me attending the annual reunion.We were few, in a small rural school, taught by under appreciated, dedicated  teachers and we were trying in our own, and collective way, to make sense of the real world that awaited us. Hey, that's not true! We were mainly trying to figure out how to control acne, wondering whether Flat Top at WSLM  radio (AM only then) would play our requested Rock & Roll song, and whether we could get Dad's car for a much anticipated date.

I hope you will let our other classmates know about this blog. Obviously, this blog is an inappropriate place to disclose information that could be embarrassing to anyone or lead to someone's identity being stolen. (My credit card was stolen and it is not fun working through that situation.)

Future posts will deal with favorite songs, cars, best places to eat, and other memories that will help the Class 1959 reconnect. (Yes, I am very much aware of other reunion type pay sites. This one is free and and concerns a rather narrow and exclusive readership.)

We await your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment