Sunday, May 3, 2015

ADVICE FROM A RETIRING PASTOR v 2.0

I doubt many of you will select the ministry as a vocational calling. However, you may have a family member, friend or younger church member considering such a calling.


After 34 years of ordained ministry I have learned a few things that are not in the textbooks:


1. Make absolutely sure the cost is correctly evaluated. Limited funds, kids will get lots of criticism, and most of all the wife had better be completely (100 percent) aware of the difficulties involved in marriage to a pastor.




2. Many pastor's wives feel like 5th wheels at times. It is very, very lonely being a pastor and worse still being a pastor's wife. Many wives of pastors seek outlets for their frustration and lack of face time with their husbands. A few even cheat. I know of one pastor's wife who attempted to sabotage his ministry. She was a candidate for institutionalization.  




3. Your kinfolks will not all be in agreement with the choices---especially, the wife's side of the family. In my case, I was accused by my father-in-law of living in such an isolated area his daughter did not have an opportunity to go to a mall! Not true deceased daddy-in-law. The mall was about 20 miles distance. If a mall trumps a sound marriage then it is wrong from the start. For the record: My daddy-in-law once tried to hit me. He was at least a half of a bubble off! Maybe more!!!




4. Pastor's wives are assumed to know everything, do everything, and go anywhere the church directs. NO! NO! NO! They need to serve as they are led--not directed by church members.




5. I look forward to spending more time with the woman that won my heart 53 years ago and still knows how to treat me like a man as I treat her like a woman. I don't drink wine but marriage like wine gets better with age ! 


Glenn <><
Just West of Yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment