Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Class Rings and Other Bling

A man as old as me should not even know what "Bling" is, much less use it in a Post. (Two of the three grandkids we are raising are teenagers, DUDE!)

Class rings were a big deal at PCHS. It meant you were a certified upperclassman and it meant you had the traditional "going steady" emblem.

I believe it was Herff Jones that sold us our class rings. Mine, without a stone, set my folks back $18.75. The ring has long since been melted down and recast into another type of ring.

Mustard seed necklaces were mentioned in an earlier Post.

Very few PCHS students had reliable wrist watches. The only one I can remember was worn by Dale Vaught. I never owned a wrist watch until my bride to be gave one as a pre-wedding Christmas gift. Today, I wear only the $20 Wal Mart Casio watches. When something breaks, I get a new one.

A very few fellows wore the heavy duty chain ID bracelet with their name or initials on it. Some even had expansion links like a wrist watch.

Most of the girls had clip on ear rings. Pierced ears were a few years away. I am not sure if pennies worn in Penny Loafers can be called Bling. What do you think?

By today's standards, we were rather plain vanilla. I've always liked vanilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment