Tuesday, April 24, 2012

'Hello Country Bumpkin!"

As mentioned earlier, I was a very good friend with Leland Matthews. His father was serving as North Vernon postmaster during most of our PCHS years. As a result,he was well connected with members of the Indiana legislature. In fact, he was a former State Senator himself.


One Friday night Leland took me to the home of the State Senator. Mom and Dad were gone and the house was filled with teenagers, mostly from North Vernon. Leland's friend, son of the State Senator was very cordial and friendly. As we walked to the large living room the son pointed out Dad's stamp collection valued at over a million dollars. I was already impressed; however, this comment sealed the deal.


It was here I saw and heard my first Hi-Fi (Not stereo). Wow! What a sound. I clearly recall "Honey Comb" (Jimmy Rogers) was playing as we walked in. Leland introduced me around. For what ever reason an attractive girl came over and we chatted. Looking back, she must have thought I sounded like a visitor from another planet. I felt intimidated, but she was so pretty. I didn't care. She wanted to know where I went to school and how often I came to North Vernon.


She tried to help me dance. Didn't do bad on the slow songs---not so good on the fast songs. We sat and talked until the get together broke up around midnight. I saw no booze or any PDA. I never saw her again, but she is still in my "Country Bumpkin" head. When I hear "Honey Comb" today I recall that night. Maybe like "Slingblade" she liked the way I talked and I sure liked the way she looked!


(Sad Note: When Pat O'Conner was killed on the first lap of the 1958 Indy 500 things started downhill for this family. They had some business connections with Pat. Leland told me the stamp collection had to be sold and they even had to have their phone removed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment