Monday, April 23, 2012

PRODUCTS THAT WOWED ME !

During my Lovett and PCHS days many new products entered the market. Several had been invented years before but became available during our grade school and PCHS days. Here are five that stand out for me:




1. Saran Wrap.  This stuff was magic. I think this product was advertised on an early "Doctor" show. Maybe Ben Casey. I think my Mom only bought one roll. It was clingy and hard to handle. I still think it is magic


2. Papermate Ballpoint Pen.  This was introduced while in I was grade school. Cost was like $1.95 (Lots of money then) Never had to sharpen this wonder of wonders.


3. Portable Radio. The early ones were very large, but you could listen to your favorite radio station anywhere. I never had one until my Junior year at Purdue.


4. Kool-Aide. Before this miracle drink hit the store shelves, there was a Tang look-a-like sold by the Watkins Man in those funny looking station wagons. The Kool-Aide package cost $.05---just add sugar. Today there are over 100 flavors. Forty percent of Kool-Aide sales are to minorities.


5. Johnson Century 21 Closed Face Spinning Reel. The spinning reel was invented in France and were all open face---subject to all kinds of backlashes and line mess ups. This reel was the grandfather of the Zebco 33 and other closed face spinning reels.
This reel changed the way we fished the Great Graham Creek forever.


Our kids and grand children do not know how lucky they are!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment