Thursday, April 19, 2012

SPRING FEVER !!!!

SPRING FEVER




I’m not real sure where it all starts
Maybe in my brain, maybe in my heart


Nothing seems to lessen its wonderful impact
Giddy, lazy, nostalgic, how strange I do act


Why do I long for the outdoors, yet I want a nap
Flowers, fishing, baseball, just give me the map


Don’t call the doctor, I’m OK for sure
Thirty days of April is my only cure


----- Glenn C. Peck


(This time of year is tough on me. It was during this time of
the year when my cousins and I started fishing the Great Graham Creek in a serious fashion.  Fishing worms were easy to find; it was warm enough to seine the branches for minnows and crawdads; the farm crops were just coming up and we didn’t have much farming to do. I was saddened about 8 years ago when we were in Indiana and I bought a fishing license and associated fishing laws; the fish in the Great Graham Creek are not safe to eat. Runoffs from fields that have been sprayed with herbicides and plant growth fertilizer are the culprit. Some of you know who is responsible for this.


Robert Redford’s “A River Runs Through It” was great. If I made a movie, it would be “The Great Graham Creek Runs Through Me” One of my deepest regrets is my grandchildren do not have an opportunity to have the same great growing up experiences that I had. Maybe God let me eat dessert first!


Just a little reflection and I can hear the Rain Crows (actually mourning doves) in the day and the whippoorwills at night. The smell of honey suckle blooms and the melody of frogs at night were part of who I was and who I am.


The night sky was the best of all. City lights have limited my observing. Dark observing sites are rapidly disappearing.  Meteors streaking through the sky (sometimes called Falling Stars) made my heart to race and to feel the power of a Thrice Holy God.)


Thunder outside my 9 year old grand daughter’s bedroom reminds me I am in Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma, but miss Indiana this time of year. Sure do miss my Mother also.


PS: My NOAA Weather Radio just sounded an alarm!



No comments:

Post a Comment