Monday, October 22, 2012

"Hey, it's good to be back home again." ---John Denver

This is a revision to the first Post by this title. The revision is being made at the request of one of our readers. While I stand by the first Post, I am changing the Post in the interest of domestic harmony!

ON OUR RECENT TRIP TO COLUMBUS AND NORTH VERNON SEVERAL PEOPLE ASKED WHY WE CAME FROM OKLAHOMA TO INDIANA? Here's my reply:

"We came to participate in the Five-Day International Mime Convention. After about five minutes the convention broke up because no one had any thing to say!!!!" We spent the rest of the time visiting friends and family.

Yes, I said that!

Quick snapshots of our brief stay in Hoosier Land:

1. Thanks for the calls and visits. Fifty plus years doesn't seem that long ago. Well, it does in the morning! Sorry to learn of the passing of some very dear friends.

2.Yes, I recall very well the Fall Hayrides at PCHS.  

3. Columbus: It has become New York City West. My wife loved it. I didn't. What's up with the design of the Wal-Mart store by I-65? The selection of East Coast items is huge. Just color me Country. I've seen all of the big cities in twenty years of USAF duty to last a lifetime.

4. Nashville, IN: Gatlinburg, TN with Birkenstock shoes. No provocative, sensual T-Shirts. Lots of artists just getting by in Nashville. Super money being made by others. One lot there recently sold for 3.5 million dollars. Bought two cases of apple butter. We give some as Christmas gifts.

Fall Foliage: Brown Co beats Vermont. I have seen them both in October. Grass in Oklahoma is more brown than green. The golf courses still have green grass. The well kept yards in Indiana are very beautiful. Hoosiers have always taken great pride in their yards.

5. North Vernon: Still a bedroom community for Seymour and Columbus. Very hard to get around when the high school lets out. Almost as many eating spots as people!

At 97, my Dad is like a Timex watch--Still ticking.


6.. Clean Cars: Most IN cars very clean. In OK dust and Red Dirt cover many. There are more pickup trucks in OK than cars. In Pottawatomie County we have more miles of gravel roads than paved roads.

7. Conclusion: Enjoyed the visits/call. Probably will not be back until that dreaded call comes.

              "Way down yonder in the Indian Nation
                I rode my pony on the reservation
                In those Oklahoma Hills where I belong
                The cowboy's life is my occupation
                In those Oklahoma Hills where I belong"

                      --- Country Singer Hank Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment