Friday, November 30, 2012

WHERE DID THAT WHITE BUS GO?

Toward the end of the White Star Bus Company, it made round trips from Madison to Cummins in Columbus. A Cummins worker drove the bus. It was a 1937 model, leaked every fluid put into it. A small snow fall would cause all kinds of zig zag driving. I wrote this as a tribute to the now out-of-business bus line:


Where Did That White Bus Go?

I was carrying a load of Liberty gates on a big order to fill       (NOTE 1)
My rig brakes failed coming down ice-covered Milton Hill      (NOTE 2)

I was praying hard, my heart was beating fifth gear fast
No doubt about it this was my end, the roll call at last

An old white bus mysteriously appeared in the front
Ice was flying and my runaway speed did slowly shunt

I pulled into a station and slowly stumbled from the truck
Crying, yet talking, I told the mechanic of my incredible luck

“Son, your were saved by the Phantom White Star Bus    (NOTE 3)
It happens so often nobody here makes any big fuss

Many years ago my ball team bus got stuck in the snow
Down Hanging Rock Hill an empty White Star Bus did go


The driver had seconds to decide if it was him or us
He saved the boys and flipped that old White Star Bus

We watched in horror as it cart wheeled over the side
We served as pall bearers in honor of his heroic ride

Folks say there were two miracles on that snowy night
Next day the police found no bus it was clean outta sight”  

Glenn C. Peck 12-23-10 (Dedicated to all White Star riders/drivers)


Note 1---The overwhelming number of Farm and Temp pens are made in Liberty, KY--My birth place

Note 2---This is on the Ky side of the Ohio River down a very steep hill

Note 3 ---Idea came from trucker song"Phantom 409"

No comments:

Post a Comment