Monday, March 18, 2013

"OLD FOLKS" Lexicon

It is strange how as I age I feel a greater and closer kinship with "Old Folks" I knew as a boy. Here are a few expressions from the past, some are still in use by some of my family. (Hey, we are the Jr. side of the "Old Folks!"

a. Tonic-----"She was a good tonic for him." The emphasis is on how one person is good for another person.

b. Tolerable----- "I guess I am doing tolerable." A term that suggests a person is not feeling real good or real bad.

c. Much Obliged----"Much obliged for the cake." A phrase that denotes thanks and has the unspoken obligation to do something nice in return.

d. Fair to Middling.-----"Bill said he was still feeling fair to middling." A term used to characterize state of health.

e. Scrap off the scab.-----"Hope my story doesn't scrape off the scab." An apology for mentioning something that might bring back unpleasant memories.

---- MORE ANOTHER TIME

Guess that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment