Wednesday, August 28, 2013

JAMES COVERED BRIDGE OVER GRAHAM CREEK

Bridge Prior To Rehab (I do not own the copyright to this photo)

During my recent trip to Indiana with my wife to visit her very ill father, I had to check out the James Covered Bridge over Graham Creek which had recently been updated for safety issues.
 
 
The obvious differences included safety railings on each side of the road on each side of the bridge to prevent vehicles plunging off the road into the creek.
 
A new paint job and some internal improvements were spotted. Work on the foundation could not be accessed.
 
The old bridge had to withstand another fight to remove and replace it with a more modern bridge.
Local folks led the fight to retain the bridge as is.
 
That old bridge is a center piece of my memories of growing up along the Graham Creek. I sure hope it is around for many, many years.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment