Monday, August 12, 2013

The Radio That Won Me A Steak Dinner!



 
Hallicrafters SX-120 Shortwave Receiver


 
In February 1967 I arrived at Shemya Air Base in the Aleutian Islands. It was about 20 days until payday and the only thing I had to sell or trade was a piece of Eskimo carved ivory art.
 
 
My diet for 20 days consisted of a supply of C-Rations left in my room by the previous occupant. In an effort to hear radio stations on the US mainland, I traded the ivory piece for the above radio.
 
 
 
The only radio station on this 2 by 4 mile piece of rocky tundra was a rebroadcast of the Armed Forces Radio Network from Washington, D.C. The building I worked in had the local station on 24/7.
 
 
 
Fast forward to the Fall of 1967 and the college football season.  To help with morale, a weekly contest of picking football winners was established. It was a simple pick the winner deal--- no point spreads. The winner at the end of the season was to receive a complete steak dinner at the NCO club.
 
 
 
Newspapers were several weeks behind so it was impossible to hear how some of the teams had fared the previous Saturday. Guess who had the only radio on the island that got same day scores and analysis? Yes sir! A guy named Glenn from PCHS!
 
 
 
Yours truly won the contest with a 74 percent accuracy. The officer that conducted the contest was slow to announce the winner. I simply went to the NCO club and said I am here for my steak dinner. Everyone on the island new my track record and there was no debate as to whether I was the winner.
 
 
 
That steak really tasted great thanks to my SX-120 radio!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment