Monday, May 9, 2016

A ROUGH REUNION LESSON


                       A ROUGH REUNION LESSON

 

 

Eight hard driving hours brought me to my goal


A large green tent erected in a small town city park

I excitedly went although I didn’t know a single soul

An e-mail promise of free food made me want to embark

 

 

A blank white nametag on my chest was quickly applied

Questions about my kin folks came like the ’37 Ohio Flood

So many people with notebooks made it very hard to decide

“Are you related by marriage or are you original blood?”

 

 

“I really don’t know,” was my honest answer so mild and meek

My early warm welcome melted like a late Spring snow

“No free food for you,” they said, “we’ll only swab your cheek”

A big guy in overalls said, “You really make make that car go!”

 

 

After getting out of sight,  I stopped at a store for a snack

No fried chicken, no cake, and no homemade chocolate pie

A Diet Coke with Tom’s peanuts would do until I got back

When it comes to reunion invites I’ve learned to ask “Why?”


GLENN <><
JUST WEST OF YESTERDAY

 

No comments:

Post a Comment