Friday, May 27, 2016

F.I.G.M.O.----A FEW KNOW WHAT IT MEANS

"THE ROCK"




While serving on a very remote, 2x4 mile tour of duty at Shemya, Alaska, I heard for the first time the acronym: F.I.G.M.O. 


 It was not long before I heard the "official", unabridged meaning. It was used by troops who had orders to finally be going home. NOTICE: BECAUSE THIS BLOG CAN BE ACCESSED BY ANYONE, HERE IS THE "G" RATED VERSION:


        "Forget (*) it I've Got My Orders!"


* GIs Used A Vulgar Word For "Forget".) 


Persons who were soon to rotate home also were said to be "Short"...nothing else.... just short.


I challenge any Blog reader to describe a more creative group than the American service member. Here's some samples:


a. He was so SHORT he would not accept long distant phone calls!


b. He was so SHORT he needed a booster chair in the Chow Hall!


c. My Favorite: An airman got an appointment to see "The Old Man" the unit commander. After saluting, he asked the commander to issue him a step ladder. A somewhat put out commander shot back, "Your duties do not require the use of a step ladder!"


"Sir, it has nothing to do with my duty station."


"Then why do you need a step ladder?"


"You see sir, I am so SHORT I need a step ladder to get out of my bed!"


"Get out of here!"


Glenn <><
Just West of Yesterday

1 comment:

  1. FOR OUR INTERNATIONAL READERS AND READERS BELOW 60 YEARS OF AGE: PHONETICS WAS A LEARNING AID THAT WAS REAL BIG SOME YEARS AGO: THEIR SIGNATURE TAG LINE---"GET HOOKED ON PHONETICS." IT WAS ON TV SEVERAL TIMES EACH THE DAY.

    ReplyDelete