Saturday, February 4, 2012

COLD WAR HUMOR # 2

This will make more sense if you read Cold War Humor #1 first.



Soviet Dictator Joseph Stalin, and brutal Soviet killer of 30 million of his own people died in March 1953. TV news was just coming of age and there was great competition among the networks to get as close as possible to his body. A comic had this skit and it may be a bit sick for some.




"This is John Cameron Swayze bringing you exclusive coverage of the thousands of Russians lined up to view Stalin's body. I am just outside the fortified wall that shields Red Square. This is as close as I can get."


"Good evening. This is Lowell Thomas bringing you exclusive coverage of the death and after mat of Stalin's passing. I am just inside the Red Square wall, about 200 yards from where the butcher of the ages lies in State."


"(Very low and determined speaking voice.) This is Edward R. Murrow inside the casket."   


After all these years, I still think the act was funny !


Again, I ask, why in the world do I remember such nonsense?? 
My brother, and my wife have often accused me of being trapped in the 1950's. Maybe I am. This was the Golden Era, WWII was only a decade old, the world was very concerned about nuclear war, and Rock n Roll was born, jobs were assumed and assured, and TV was making a big. big impact.  I am a few days away from launching my outline of the music of our time. It will be something I have wanted to do for a long, long time. 


Please let our other classmates know of this Blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment