Saturday, May 18, 2013

"Help! I've Fallen.......

Letter I sent to local newspaper:


Letters to editor:

Help! I’ve fallen through a worm hole into an alternate universe and I can’t get back.

The alternate universe where I now find myself is completely void of any historical understanding of the reasons which motivated the early pilgrims to come to the New World. Even most 5th graders know they came seeking freedom of religious expression. The first amendment to our Constitution clearly states this freedom from governmental control.

Yet, the vice-president of this alternate universe urges religious leaders to make gun control a moral issue and make this a topic of sermons and other religious instruction. In my original universe I know of no religious leader who receives spiritual guidance or message content from this vice-president or any other governmental spokesperson. Ironically, these same government voices are deathly silent on moral issues such as abortion. 

Within this alternate universe there is an explosive and growing scandal on the unthinkable abuse of IRS power aimed at silencing political opposition. One questionnaire sent to a pro-life organization seeking tax exempt status asked to describe the content of their members’ prayers! At the very least, this intrusion shows incredible insensitivity and at worst, seems to reflect an unwarranted and dangerous assumption of Divine prerogative.

Neither Dorothy nor Toto can get me home. My certain deliverance is best expressed, “Lead me to that Rock that is higher than I.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment