Friday, June 14, 2013

HELLO MR. CHIPS ! V. 2

I accompanied my oldest grandson today as he registered at a large state university for the Fall term. My mind went back 64 years ago when I registered as a Freshmen at Purdue University. Here are some observations from today:

1. Entering freshmen today look like kindergartners, not college students. I am certain my classmates in 1959 looked much more mature! (Yeah, right.)

2. Some, key word some, of the girls were dressed more for the beach than college registration. In 1959 these same girls would probably be arrested.

3. Today's entering freshmen look like walking ads for cell phones and computers. In 1959 I used a telephone for the first time.

4. The parents today had the same look as my Dad had in 1959. Where did the time go?

5. Students today had the same sense of wonder and excitement as I experienced in 1959. Most of the good things that have happened to me in 64 plus years had their genesis from those wonderful years I spent at Purdue. I pray my grandson will have the same experience.

6. Many of the students came with Mom/Dad.  In some cases the parent , who looked young, could pass for a brother/sister of their entering student. This brought home again the fact-----I'm old!

I would be remiss if I did not mention my best friend at Purdue---Ray. Ray died about 12 years ago. I really miss him. We entered adulthood together. In many respects we were complete opposites: Ray was from the south side of Chicago, make mine country. He was short and I was much taller. He was a Catholic; I am a Baptist. Ray was in Pharmacy; I was in Industrial Technology. Ray was shy; well, you know I am not. He was a White Sox fan; I'm a die hard Reds fan.

Friendship is not built on differences, but shared common interests. We had a ton of those. Ray R.I.P.


SCROLL DOWN TO THE STORY ABOUT THE CLASS OF 1983 REUNION AT THE REEL 'EM INN MOTEL.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment