Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"They Can't Take That Away From Me"

I love Ginger Rogers and Fred Astair movies! Probably have seen all of them. The plots in their movies were predictable--Boy finds girl--Boy loses girl---Boy finds girl. The plots never mattered. It was the singing and dancing that captivates me. What talent. It shall never pass this way again. 


The song referenced in the title of this Post came from one of their many movies. The best and most romantic version, very sensual in the best of tastes, can be found at the following You Tube site. 


                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_OCayMN9JA&feature=related


This, in my view, is one of the great moments in the careers of two gifted and talented performers. I tried to get a grandson to take tap dancing, but he selected football---well, this is Oklahoma.


This song was sung by the aspiring broadway high school girl in the wonderful "Mr. Holland's Opus."  Fred's version is still the best.


I'm a sucker for most musicals. The song writing is unparalleled. Throw in the choreography and you have me hooked. 


Personal confession time: I was so impressed with Meredith Wilson's "Music Man" I saw it two nights in a row in the same  theater  ---with different dates!

No comments:

Post a Comment