Tuesday, September 1, 2015

CONFESSIONS OF A PROFESSIONAL NAPPER z-z-z-z

I present this personal case history as proof positive that with adequate training and dedication anyone can catch those blessed 40 winks in all situations. however, CAUTION IS URGED!


I was told many times by an aunt who was present when I made a remark about sleep when I was four years old. I accompanied my uncle, aunt and cousin to a basketball game in Casey Co., KY. On the way home my cousin, five weeks older than me, complained he was sleepy and wanted to go to bed. I allegedly said, "Larry Ray, I'm sleepy too and there's not much I can do about it. Next time I'm going to stay home."


Fast forward to high school. I was never a night owl. I got home from the junior prom before 11pm. (Just in case my date should ever read this---you were very pretty---and a super kisser---I was just sleepy.)


I would come in from basketball practice and go to sleep on my Mom's kitchen floor while she prepared supper. My Mom was very afraid when Dad was not in from working the second shift at Cummins. She had me stay up with her and watch Jack Parr or the Late Show until Dad came in. I learned to catch a few winks while she was watching TV.


On to Purdue. I become more of a night owl because of my studies and being with some super good friends. As a result, I learned how to sleep in the library between classes and if time permitted, a good nap in the dorm. Here's confession time to the extreme---My physics lecture class was in a theater type room that seated 600 students. I dozed off during the lecture and was awakened by the girl sitting next to me because I was writing on her notebook!


In the military I graduated to the Big Leagues of napping. Time spent in military air terminals and major international airports between flights was the optimum time to nap. I was going no where and nobody was relying on my leadership. Never missed a flight as a result of napping. Little sleeping was possible in military technical and professional training. Ditto two graduate schools both in and following military service.




Really fast forward to ten years ago. Three of our six grand children moved in and my wife became a semi-invalid. I seldom got to bed before 2 am after the clothes washing, dishes, checking homework was finished. It is a miracle I was not killed. I would go to sleep at the Sonic, Bank, even at a stoplight. It reached such a bad point, my grandson woke me up while driving on the wrong side of the road! We have hired some help and things are much better.




OK, that's the short version. Don't miss sleep ---- the consequences could be fatal.




GLENN <><
JUST WEST OF YESTERDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment