Thursday, June 9, 2011

"I Don't Recall Senator" & FAQs

The title of this Post is sometimes heard when people are called to testify before a Senate Investigating CommitteeThe quote may indeed be true or it may be an effort to evade telling the truth without subsequently be accused of perjury.

I mention this to simply say all memories of events, especially those over one-half of a century ago, must be highly and honestly selective. Part of the selective memory process is to quote Martha Stewart, "A good thing." I truly believe God uses the process of time to help us recall the better parts of our lives. Perhaps He does this to help us cope with the day-to-day challenges that usually contain a combination of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A clouded, distorted memory of only bad things would limit our ability to deal with life on a rational basis and probably create a permanent pessimistic outlook, or even serious mental health issues.

If you are still reading this O'Neil-like "Strange Interlude", I will attempt to answer some concerns, real or imagined, that readers of this Blog may have felt. My Posts are not meant to be encyclopedic and cover every event that happened during our PCHS "Happy Days." This Blog is not chronological and it represents, as stated in my first Post, "The Way I Remember It." I have and will continue to try and write about events from an honest recollection. If readers have a different, or better recollection, please, please share your comments at any time on any Post.


Possible FAQs:

1.Who appointed you as the class historian? No one. As our lengthening shadows grow ever closer to River Jordon, I merely wish to share some memories of an important and formative time of our lives. Further, I have seen only a very small number of my 1959 classmates since our graduation. I am simply trying to say some of the things that would have been said face-to-face. Also, many of our classmates have already answered the Last Roll Call and this Blog is to honor their memory.


2. Do you have a life beyond 1959? Yes. Yes. And Yes. Married 1963--Connie from Columbus. Three children and six grandchildren. (Circumstances require we must raise three, a 16, 13, & 8 year old). Briefly, many years of study at Purdue University, Western KY Univ., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and a host of Professional Military Education schools and training in a 20 year  USAF career. Fourteen moves in those 20 years. Several years of sales and marketing with an Oklahoma communications company. Over 30 years of ordain Christian ministry, pastor of four churches (Two in OH and two in OK) Have served as pastor of the First Baptist Church of St. Louis, Oklahoma, now going on 19 years. (Yes, Virginia, there is a St. Louis, OK!)  Hobbies: Fly fishing, amateur radio, astronomy, and writing. The best job I have ever had is being a husband, father, grandpa, and pastor. Finally, daily attempting to follow the Lord Jesus Christ! (Thanks for asking.)


3. How long will you write this Blog? Until I exhaust my memories or people stop reading it. Better add, as long as this old Vista OS and Dell computer hold out.


4. How can a person e-mail you direct ? See the e-mail address on the Blog.


5. Do you participate in Social Networking? No. No. and No. Many, many personal and security reasons why. Ever had your credit card stolen by a hacker?? It is not fun, believe me.

6. If I come to Oklahoma to visit you how will I be treated?  We Oklahomans will treat you so many different ways you are sure to like one of them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment