Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Magic Kingdom---PCHS GYM

   Most readers of this Blog know that 13 of the 15 largest high school gyms are in Indiana. Our gym was so small the out of bounds lines were just in front of the front row fans. The center circle and foul line circles nearly touched. The backboards were made of wood, not glass, and the game clock was an analog time piece. Complete with hands!


None of these limitations bothered our players, cheerleaders and PCHS fans. Our gym was called a "Cracker Box" or even a "Hat Box" by first time visiting fans. We had a Crows Nest that was manned by Dewey and Elmer during our Senior year. Starting line ups and recorded music were played over the PA. I think Elmer or maybe his brother Taylor gave a lip sync version of Elvis during the half time of one of our games.


Our Senior prom was held here and I was directed by Mr. Harris to dance one dance with Cathy. I believe she was the Queen of the prom and I was the president of our class. During those brief three or four minutes I remember how pretty she was in her prom gown and how life was soon to change for both of us. Cathy was a gentle, soft-spoken young women that had her eyes focused on nursing school. We had spent almost 12 years learning and growing together.

I believe Dewey passed away before Cathy's death.  Cathy's passing troubled me then, and still does today. Cathy was very intelligent and I always envied her quiet confidence. She died way, way too soon, but left a legacy of very wonderful and enduring memories.

I will have a separate Post about Dewey later.

No comments:

Post a Comment