Thursday, October 8, 2015

A TEENAGER'S KINDNESS

THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS.





A TEENAGER’S KINDNESS

As I type this Post the musical soundtrack to the wonderful Victory at Sea TV series is playing in the back ground. A teenage neighbor, Wright H., invited my brother and I to watch each Sunday afternoon episode on his family’s TV. I don’t think we missed any episodes. We got a TV two years later.


The beautiful music helped cement the sights and sounds firmly in my young memory. The Victory at Sea shows created in me a certain national pride and deep patriotism. Furthermore, I became acutely aware of the heroic sacrifices of our brave service members, the industrial base back home, and the anxiously awaiting families of these brave body guards of freedom. I later learned I had an uncle who was in N. Africa with forces commanded by General Patton. Uncle Mac drove a truck.


It is not a stretch to acknowledge this teenager’s kindness to my brother and I as a major deep definer of our sense of duty, honor and country. Sadly, I never told him the impact his kindness had upon my life. If any of his surviving family members read this, Wright H. was a difference maker, even as a teenager, in my life and my 20 year USAF experience. A very belated salute and heartfelt thanks for a job well done.


Glenn <><


Just West of Yesterday




No comments:

Post a Comment