Thursday, June 16, 2016

IT DIDN'T HURT A BIT---THE DIVORCE IS FINAL !

NEW VERSION OF MY OLD SCHOOL CAP

OK! Now that you are at this Post, I'll give you the true account of my divorce from the Cincinnati Reds. It doesn't hurt me to talk about it. In fact, I ask my self why I waited so long? I am sleeping better at night; not rushing out to the front yard to get my newspaper; and no longer staying up late when the Reds play West Coast Teams!


The following letter was sent to the Reds front office (Honest):




June 8, 2016

Cincinnati Reds Baseball Club:

I thought you might like to know there was no Hearing, no Mediation, just a Final Judgement.

After over sixty five years of faithfully following the Reds from Wyatt Hoyt to Al Michaels to Marty & the Old Left Hander and to Marty and the Cowboy, I am now divorced from the Reds.  The recent winning spurt is too little too late.

My divorce came about because of management’s unfaithfulness, unwarranted Fire Sales, failure to fire managers, failure to make good trades and no visible attempt to extricate this team from an eternal sentence of last place.

The relationship I have experienced with the Reds has covered the magical times spent in the sundeck at Crosley Field, joys of the Big Red Machine at Riverfront, and to the almost continuous heartbreak of watching the MLB Network at The Great American Ball Park.

 At 74 years of age, I can longer risk the failure of this organization to provide some much needed entertainment and enjoyment before I am optioned to that final Field of Dreams in the sky.

As a result, I am returning my Old School Reds cap for a decent burial.  I am now embarrassed to wear it in public. If I took it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army I fear almost certain ridicule or even worse.

Some night when the Reds are losing another laugher, look up into the sky, I will be the guy standing by the cornfield but not wearing a Reds cap! “This is the old former Reds fan rounding third and heading to another team!”  To quote Roy Hobbs of the NY Knights, “Pick me out a good one Bobby.”


(Signature Block)

Glenn <><
Just West of Yesterday

 

No comments:

Post a Comment